While iPhone’s Portrait mode does an amazing job at blurring the background, sometimes that’s not enough. What if a person wants to completely get rid of the background on iOS? Fortunately, you can do that easily, and that too for free on iPhone and iPad. Let’s check seven methods to remove background from an image on iPhone and iPad.
Remove Background From Pictures on iPhone
1. Using Photo Cutout Feature
If your phone is running on iOS 16+, you can use the native photo cutout feature to remove background from images on iPhone. Please note that this feature will not work on iPhones running iOS 15 and earlier. And it only works on iPhones having A12 Bionic chip. That includes iPhone SE 2nd gen, iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 12, iPhone 13, and iPhone 14 models. iPhone X doesn’t support this feature.
Use the following steps to remove background from an image using the Photo cutout feature:
1. Launch the Apple Photos app on your iPhone.
Pro Tip: You can use the photo cutout feature to remove background in other Apple apps as well like Messages, Mail, Files, Notes, etc. Simply open the photo and follow the given steps.
2. Open the image whose background you want to remove.
3. Now, touch and hold the part of the image that you want to keep until you see a white glow on the image. Once that happens, there are three ways to extract the image without its background.
1. Drag and Drop to Another App
In this method, once you press and hold the image, you need to keep holding the image with one hand and at the same time, use a finger from your other hand to open the app where you want to put this newly created image having no background. Then, drag the image into the app that you opened. You can put in a message, send it in instant messaging apps, put it on top of another photo, or save it in the Apple Notes app.
2. Copy-Paste the Image
If the above method sounds complicated, simply touch and hold the image until the white glow appears on the image. Then, lift your finger and tap on the Copy button.
Open the app where you want to paste this image. Touch and hold the typing area and select Paste from the menu.
3. Save or Share the Image
To save the image to your iPhone after removing its background, first, touch and hold the image until a white glow appears. Then, tap on Share from the menu. Scroll down and select Save image to download the image without its background in PNG format on your iPhone. Or, select the app where you want to share the picture after removing its background.
2. Using Files App
Another way to remove the background from a picture is by using the Apple Files app. In this method, you just need to select the image, and your iPhone will automatically remove its background and save the PNG file in the Photos app.
Follow these steps:
1. Open the Apple Files app on your iPhone.
2. Go to the folder containing the image. Do not tap to open the image. Simply press and hold on to the thumbnail of the image in the folder.
3. Select Quick actions from the menu followed by Remove background.
4. That it’s. Your iPhone will remove its background and save the picture with no background automatically in the same folder. You can then use the new image in any app of your choice.
3. Using Safari Browser
You can even remove the background from any image in the Safari browser.
1. Find the picture in the Safari browser whose background you want to remove.
2. Touch and hold the image and select Copy subject from the menu.
3. Open any app and paste the image without its background.
Tip: Learn how to enable or disable private browsing in Safari.
4. Using Free Background Eraser Online Tools
If the above methods do not work on your iPhone, you can use free online background remover tools to remove the background from an image on an iPhone. These tools are free to use for medium-quality images and also do not add any watermark. Fortunately, they also let you save images in PNG format. That means you can easily add a background color of your choice, use the image as a sticker, and perform similar actions where transparency needs to be maintained.
Here are the five best back background remover tools:
I will tell you the steps to remove the background using remove.bg here.
Remove Background on iPhone Using Remove.bg
1. Open remove.bg in a browser on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Tap on the Upload image button on the website. You will get three options to choose your image — Photo library, Take a photo, and Browse. Tap on the required option.
3. Select the image whose background you want to remove. Select the size of the image and hit the Choose button.
4. Wait for the tool to automatically detect and remove the background. If you are satisfied with the output, tap on the Download button to save the image to your iPhone.
5. The downloaded image will show up in the Photos app. In case that doesn’t happen, open the Files app and go to the Downloads folder and you will find the picture.
6. However, if you want to erase some more background or add a different background, tap on the Edit button on the image in step 4 and hit the Erase/Restore tab, and modify the background.
8. To change the background of your picture, hit the Edit button on the final image and tap on the Background tab. Select the appropriate background from the available options or upload it from your phone’s gallery.
5. Remove Background Using Shortcut
Another cool way to erase background is by creating a shortcut using the Shortcuts app. Here are the detailed instructions.
1. Download the Apple Shortcuts app, in case it’s not installed on your phone.
2. Now you need to download the Background remover shortcut from RoutineHub userTarasovSM. Open the Background remover shortcut link on your phone and hit the Get shortcut button.
You will be taken to the Shortcuts app. You might get an error that says your device’s security settings do not support untrusted shortcuts. Don’t worry. Tap on Ok.
Then, open Settings on your iPhone and tap on the Shortcuts app. Enable the toggle next to Allow untrusted shortcuts. If it appears greyed out, run any shortcut in the Shortcut app. Then come back to this screen and enable the toggle. Confirm when asked.
Open the shortcut download link again and tap on the Get shortcut button to install the shortcut. This time, hopefully, you shall see the Add shortcut screen.
3. On the Add shortcut screen, firstly, rename the shortcut under the When I run textbox. Give it an appropriate name such as Background remover. Without changing anything else, scroll down and hit the Add untrusted shortcut.
4. Now whenever you need to remove a background from a picture, open the Shortcuts app and tap on the Background remover shortcut under the My shortcuts tab. A permission pop-up will appear when you tap on it the first time. Tap on OK to grant permission to allow the shortcut to access your photos.
5. The photo picker window will open. Tap on the image whose background you want to erase. Another permission pop-up from Adobe will appear. Tap on OK. Since the shortcut uses Adobe’s API, that’s why you see the pop-up.
6. Wait for some time. Let the shortcut remove the background. You might not see anything happening on the screen. Be patient. Once the shortcut removes the background, the transparent image will appear on the screen. Tap on the image to save it on your phone. Do not tap on the Done button for it will close the image without saving it.
7. After tapping on the image, it will open in full-screen view. Tap on the Share button at the top and hit the Save image from the Share sheet.
Finally, open the Photos app, and your image with transparent background should ready. Similarly, use the shortcut for other photos whose background you want to remove. The only drawback of this method is that you cannot modify the selection in cases where the shortcut doesn’t detect the background properly.
6. Remove Background Using Pages App
Another free way to erase background is to take the help of the Apple Pages app. Here’s how to use the Apple Pages app to remove background from pictures:
1. Install the Pages app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Open the Pages app and add your image to a page. For that, tap on the Add (+) icon on a page and select Photo or Video. Choose the required image.
3. Tap on the image to select it and hit the Edit (paintbrush) icon at the top. Go to the Image tab and tap on Instant Alpha.
4. Draw a mask over the area that you want to remove from the image. Once finished, tap on Done. You will get a transparent image without a background. Repeat the step if you want to edit the mask.
The drawback of this method is that you cannot save the PNG image directly on your phone. However, you can copy and paste it into another app where you want to use it. To do so, tap on the transparent photo and hit the Copy button. Then open the required photo-editing app and paste it.
7. Using Free Background Remover Apps
If you prefer having an app instead, several background remover apps exist that let you erase the background from images on your iPhone. Do check our post where we have covered amazing background eraser apps for iOS.
If I had to pick one Background Remover App for iOS, it would be Background Eraser: Superimpose. You can crop to make background removal easier and adjust brightness, contrast, exposure, temperature, etc. The erase tool has an offset which makes it easier to remove the background on the phone.
Removing the background is one of the ways to edit your pictures. We hope you were able to remove background from images on iPhone and iPad using the above methods. If you want to improve or modify selfies, check out the best selfie editing apps for iPhone.
Mehvish is a technology enthusiast from Kashmir. A computer engineer by degree, she's always been keen to help when someone finds technology challenging. She has been writing about technology for 6+ years and her favorite verticals include how-to guides, explainers, tips and tricks for Android, iOS/iPadOS, Windows, social media, and web apps. You’ll also find her work on Make Tech Easier, Guiding Tech, and Nerds Chalk
- Download a Background Remover Shortcut.
- Remove a Background Using Preview on Your Mac.
- Remove Image Backgrounds with the Pages App.
- Edit iPhone Photos with Background Eraser: Superimpose.
- Use PhotoScissors for iOS.
- Use a Web Tool Like remove.bg.
To change your background, all you have to do is use the cutout tool to superimpose your subject on a background photo from your Camera Roll. To make things even easier, you can choose from ready-to-go backgrounds and add them to your photo with a few swipes. LightX is free to download but includes in-app purchases.Can you remove background on iPhone camera? ›
So go to one of the photos. And when you tap and hold one of the subjects in the photos. It's goingHow do you remove objects from Photos on iPhone? ›
Open your image in TouchRetouch, and tap Object Removal. At the bottom of the screen, you'll see three tools for selecting your object: Brush, Lasso, and Eraser. The Brush and Lasso tools are for selecting an object. The Eraser tool lets you deselect areas that you selected by mistake.Which app can remove background? ›
Fotor - The Best Bg Remover
Here with Fotor app, photo editing like removing background, add sticker to the photo or even create your unique photo is just a piece of cake. With AI, Fotor can remove background from picture automatically and accurately.
GIMP is a free tool that offers several photo editing tools. We can perform several image editing tasks such as background removing, image editing, image retouching, image refixing, etc. In this section, we will see how to remove and change the background of an image using different tools.Which is the best background editing app? ›
- PhotoDirector for Android & iOS.
- Simple Background Changer.
- Auto Background Changer.
Every iPhone model that supports iOS 16
iPhone 8 Plus. iPhone X. iPhone XS. iPhone XS Max.
Find a picture in your camera roll with a subject that you want to isolate and cut out, like a person, pet, or a prominently featured object. Long press on the subject until you feel a haptic buzz and see a white border appear, identifying your subject. From here, tap either Copy or Share.How do I make the background of a picture black? ›
You can do this by using the Pixlr online photo editor, or by using Paint 3D if you have a Windows computer. You can also use the free GIMP 2 program to cut a subject out of a photo and paste the subject onto an all-black background.
Tap the eraser tool in the Markup toolbar in a supported app, then do one of the following: Erase with the pixel eraser: Scrub over the mistake with your finger. Erase with the object eraser: Touch the object with your finger.Does iPhone have magic eraser? ›
The iPhone doesn't include the Magic Eraser feature that Google introduced alongside the Pixel 6, but there are apps in Apple's App Store for that.Does iPhone 13 have object eraser? ›
The iPhone doesn't include the Magic Eraser feature that Google introduced alongside its new Pixel 6, but there are apps in Apple's App Store for that. What is Slidebox app?How do I change the background color on my iPhone for free? ›
One of the easiest ways to change the background on iPhone Photos is to use FocoDesign: Insta Story Editor, which is a free graphic designing app for iOS that comes with different features to edit your photos. With FocoDesign, you can edit your iPhone photos videos and make them look awesome for your Instagram account.How can I change the background color of a photo? ›
- Step 1: Select the photo you want to edit. Open PhotoScissors online, click the Upload button then select an image file. ...
- Step 2: Change the background. You can keep background transparent or change it to any color or even set another image as new background.
AI-powered background remover App like Erase.bg is an excellent alternative for Photoshop that is free, time-saving, and cost-saving. You will be surprised just how easy and quick it can be to remove backgrounds from images.Is there a free background remover app? ›
Auto Background Changer & Background Eraser app is another free option for Android users to erase background from their images. This app can easily erase the background with just one tap automatically. It can make your images transparent by removing their background.Is there a free background remover? ›
Bgeraser is a free online AI-based background removing tool. This tool adopts deep machine learning technology to remove the background of the image automatically.Can Picsart remove background? ›
Picsart offers a suite of user-friendly features to offer a background eraser tool that anyone can use. Upload any image to the Photo Editor and delete a background or edit it with just a few clicks.How do I remove a clean background? ›
Photoshop 2021 : How to Remove Background (Fast Tutorial) - YouTube
- YouCam Perfect.
- Background Eraser.
- Magic Eraser Background Editor.
- PhotoCut App.
- Adobe Photoshop.
- Open up your phone's Gallery app.
- Find the photo you want to use and open it.
- Tap the three dots in the top-right and select "Set as wallpaper."
- You'll be given the choice between using this photo as wallpaper for your home screen, lock screen, or both.
Find the "Background Remover" in the tools menu on the left. Then, upload or drag and drop your logo from your computer. Fotor will remove background from logo automatically. Resize, rotate, and crop your logo, or add a new background if needed.Does iPhone have object eraser? ›
Erase a mistake
Tap the eraser tool in the Markup toolbar in a supported app, then do one of the following: Erase with the pixel eraser: Scrub over the mistake with your finger. Erase with the object eraser: Touch the object with your finger.
Picsart, VistaCreate, and Superimpose are your friends here. You can use them to remove a background, and then apply any number of stickers, filters, and fonts. At the other end of the scale are apps like Remove.bg, Apowersoft Background Eraser, and InShot Background Eraser.How do you blur the background on iPhone without portrait? ›
In the Camera app, simply tap the screen where you want the focus to be set. A yellow box will indicate the focus point. If the background doesn't look blurred, move a bit closer, then tap to set focus again. Remember, the closer you get, the blurrier the background will be!Is there a free background remover app for iPhone? ›
YouCam Perfect is the best background remover whether you have an iPhone or Android. It's free to download, easy to use, and has dozens upon dozens of features that will take your pictures to the next level.Where is the magic eraser on iPhone? ›
The iPhone doesn't include the Magic Eraser feature that Google introduced alongside the Pixel 6, but there are apps in Apple's App Store for that.Is Magic Eraser app free? ›
You can use this app to get transparent images to use as logos or stickers, or use them with a different background. Unfortunately Magic Eraser is only available for free for iOS. If you know similar apps for Android write them below in the comments!Does Apple have a photo editor? ›
In the Photos app on your Mac, double-click a photo or video to open it, then click Edit in the toolbar. To see the original image, click and hold the Without Adjustments button, or press and hold the M key. Release the button or the M key to see the item with edits.
Fotor. With Fotor, you can automatically remove background from images online. You just need to upload your photo, then the AI will detect the photo's subject and erase the background, with no need to install anything or to edit yourself, saving you time.Which is best photo background editor? ›
- PhotoDirector for Android & iOS.
- Simple Background Changer.
- Auto Background Changer.
Open the Blur Photo Editor app to select a picture. Go to the blur effects and tap on the pixelated blur option. Choose the desired intensity, and get a blurred-out image. Tap on the top right corner button for photo sharing or saving.How do you blur something on iPhone? ›
- Start the Camera app and tap Portrait at the bottom of the screen.
- Compose your photo.
- Before you take the shot, tap the f icon at the top right. ...
- Swipe the slider to choose the amount of background blur you want. ...
- When you are satisfied, take the picture.
But the great thing about Portrait mode is that you can make changes to the background blur after you've taken the photo. On the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, XS, XS Max, and XR, you can adjust the strength of the background blur.